This week, I did quite a bit:
On Tuesday, I discovered that we would be using an ROV video camera for the feed instead of GoPros. This allowed us to save both time and money, especially when time is money. Jacob spliced into the camera's power line and troubleshooted various connections. While he was doing this, I emailed Dr. Bill for an LMR400 radio cable, which we received and hooked up on Friday.
I also researched how to configure the Phidgets throughout the week and determined several things:
1. Phidgets is compatible with a wide variety of languages with the most common being C#.
2. Phidgets has a configuration interface so that we don't need to rewrite the code straight from the source.
3. The configuration interface on the webservice requires a username and password and we need to find the default settings for this.
When Jacob was sick on Wednesday, we had several visitors so I had the opportunity to share and present my project. On this day, I was able to review the circuit and circuitry diagram and determine a good place for the new base station and video server. However, we may need another battery for insurance.
On Friday, I finished up the week by setting up the workbench near an external power and ethernet port to allow ease of accessibility for configuration of the access point. I had another class this morning, but hopefully Jacob was able to further configure the access point during his Computer Science class.
Throughout the week, during my free time, I went onto codecademy.com to learn JS. I am 66% finished with the 10 hour course. When I finish I am planning on taking the AngularJS lessons for web apps, and Python as a first step to C# for outside-of-school projects. My goals for objective-based languages are as followed: (Python [first step]--> Swift [for iPhone Apps]--> C++ [for robotic projects]--> C#[for unity and game development]). It will take a long time, but I have nothing to do over summer.