In class today we discussed the new Tesla automobiles and how they will take over the global market. I spent the majority of my time doing research on how electric vehicles will be the future of our society.
In class today, I focused my energy to fixing some mechanical errors with the BPH. Check out this image of Julia Perry controlling my prosthetic wirelessly with the mimic glove and Bluetooth connectivity:
My initial plan for this semester was to work on my Bionic Prosthetic Hand and fix all the mechanical errors that have affected the overall movement and control. Secondly, I hope to incorporate the Emotiv headset as the main control of the hand. For this to work, I will need to train my brain and write programs to move each finger. I also planned to work and fly the drones. I used the Mavic Pro to shoot inside of classroom and get photographs necessary for a three-dimensional model.
My main problem have been the time constraint of 50 minute class periods. It is difficult to fly, build, fix, and explain my projects when there isn't too much time.
This week we only had one class. I treated it as a transition back to the school scene because I missed so many days due to my sickness. I planned my work for the next few weeks as I attempt to write a program that incorporates the EMOTIV brainwave headset.
I also helped Oliver 3D print a case for his arduino micro. Check out the schematic:
In class today, we met with Rich Matsuda. Rich came to our class in search for ideas. As the Operations and Infrastructure Senior Manager he came looking for ideas from high-school student innovators. Our capstone class really incorporates lots of great & diverse minds with different ideas. His goal from our conference was to gather information about what we think is important about Mauna Kea and the observatories. With all of the controversy over TMT and the land that "is not" kept sacred, Rich is working toward getting more and more people to come to a neutral agreement that the land is sacred for native Hawaiians as well as engineers and scientists. Our purpose in this is to provide our ideas as to ways that both communities can come to a mutual understanding that the land is equally important to both.
In class today we spoke about improving our presentations and how small corrections with my public speaking can make my project more appealing to someone who's never heard about it previously. Also, Oliver, Brianna, and Angelina spoke about the moon-base summit and the possibilities of taking life to space (the moon).
This week I prepared my Bionic Prosthetic Hand for the Waimea Community Meeting. I presented my project and it not only helped me with my presenting skills but also with planning out my future goals. I really hope to advance more with this project because I know I can improve it. By changing the 3D Model of the palm and fingers and by adding linear actuators, I hope that this improvement can happen.
In class today we prepped for the community gathering at the Energy Lab this Thursday. The entire Waimea community is invited to come and see the STEM work that is happening around the Island and specifically at HPA. I will mainly present my Bionic Prosthetic Hand to the audience. I will show how with just a 3D printer and some basic engineering skills, an affordable prosthetic can be constructed.
This week I was able to gather more documentation on what I have been up to. I sat and watched closely over Zoe's work. The software she uses to stitch together three-dimensional models of classrooms, offices, and other rooms. I have also worked on flying the Mavic and Inspire in order to get the ideal HPA campus video.
Over the next few weeks, I hope to finish the drone that Daniel and I are working on.
Today, Chris, Will, and I flew the Mavic Pro and the Inspire One in order to get the perfect footage of HPA campus. As seniors, we feel that the campus video is a bit out-dated and needs to be updated. We plan to film all through next week and hopefully put it together and have a complete video bt the next week after flying/recording.
In class today I worked on the drone with Daniel. We figured that we should figure out alternatives on mounting the motor controllers. We were quite successful with placing the GPS and NAZA Controller onto the drone. We plan to utilize the laser cutter in order to have carbon fiber cutouts that will hold up the motor controllers. This is what the drone looks like today:
A recap of the past few weeks held the conversation and main theme of class today. I shared my work with flying the drone for Zoe's project. I also mentioned that I will be looking into free STL files for my Bionic Prosthetic Hand Version II.
I have also been working with the Drone that Daniel and I are building. Today we reattached the power distribution board and are working on completing the frame as soon as possible.
This week consisted of me flying the drone indoors in order to help Zoe with her project. As I stated previously, I take three to four sets of photos to get a 360-degree panoramic view of classrooms and office spaces. I direct the camera in different directions to get every corner and inch of space photographed. Once I run through the sets of photos (trying to cover the span of the room) I look back at the photos and find the places I missed. After a few flights with the drone and over 400 photos, a program meshes the images together by tethering similar components like a puzzle.
I also spent some of this week working on my college applications/essays!