5/3/17

I'm out of town for a little while, when I get back i'll finish up my power supply

0 comments

5/1/17

Today I soldered some wires together in order to extend the length, but I don't want to connect them to the potentiometers until I insulate them in order to prevent a short. Other than that I discussed my independent English project in class. I also had to leave early

0 comments

Week of 4/29/17

This week the potentiometers came in, nut Dr Bill forgot them on monday, so we disussed presentation ideas. I missed class on Wednesday, and on Thursday I put in one of the new potentiometers, amd wrote an elevator pitch.

0 comments

4/27/17

Today I began class by putting on one of the new potentiomters onto the PSU. When I went to ask Dr Bill for help everyone was sat down writing something. After a small misunderstanding on checking in, I joined the rest of the class in writing elevator pirches.

0 comments

4/26/17

I wasn't in class today. Next class I'll finish putting the potentiometers on my power supply

0 comments

4/24/17

Today we discussed final presentations throughout the class. It was cool hearing about projects I didn't know too much about such as Kama and Vanessa's projects. I'm going to ask Mrs. Pettys to see if I can do a tour walking around the elab as my presentation instead of just giving a presentation in the conference room

0 comments

Week of 4/22/17

Sorry for the late weekly weblog, I was extremely busy over the weekend with Rugby, Merrie Monarch, and Dorm Events. Last week I researched more on circuit diagrams and learning different parts of them and getting better at reading them. I'm still waiting for the 2k variable resistors to come in. Hopefully they're here by this week.

0 comments

4/19/17

I'm still waiting for the potentiometers to come in, so today we just went over presentations and watched Jiro dreams of sushi

0 comments

4/17/17

Today I couldn't do much since I'm waiting for the potentiometers to come in. I read up on potentiometers and a little bit on circuit diagrams in order to understand them more. I plan on starting the little soldering kits sometime soon

0 comments

Week of 4/15/17

This week I spent completely on power supplies. I kept fixing multiple thiimgs and learned a lot about the parts in the process. Unfortunately one of the 2k potentiometers is damaged and I will have to ask Dr Bill to order some. Once those come in and I finish i'll start working on the small kits for LEDs

0 comments

4/13/17

Today I checked on the PSU amd found that the transistors and voltage regulators were all correct and okay, and decided to test and see if it was the potentiometer that was busted, which it seems it was. When testing resistance from the wiper to a terminal, it wouldn't display any. I tried putting in 5k ones but the volatge was too high for the capacitors so I will have to order and switch to 2k ones

0 comments

4/12/17

today I started by replacing the LM337 transistor. The negative voltage regulator works and it changes the voltage accordingly. I then found that the other two transistors weren't working; The 5V output was showing 20V and the variable output wasn't changing. I replaced transistor 7805 and the 5V worked. I started to replace LM317 but ran out of time so i'll do it next class

0 comments

4/10/17

Today I kept looking into why the voltage regulator was smoking. I had Dr Bill double check my work, and we found a few pins touching under the board. I'm also replacing one of the transistors on the heatsink since it might be burned out.

0 comments

Week of 4/8/17

This week was focused on finishing up the power supplies. I discovered that I was missing parts and my heatsink was wired backward so I had to fix that. When testing, the AC side worked correctly, but something went wrong on the DC side so I will see next week what's up with it.

0 comments

4/6/17

Today I rewired the heatsink, but when testing it, something started smoking. I'm not sure what it is but I'll try to find out next class.

0 comments

4/5/17

Today I double checked the PSU for short ciecuits. I found that the circuit board was not separated from the frame, and i'm missing the parts to fix it so I will have to improvise. I also had to take off the heatsink and reverse it.

0 comments

4/3/17

Today I finished the power supply but it wouldn't turn on, so I put a fuse in it and worked. Afterwards it turned on but it didn't change voltage for some reason so I will have to take it apart sometime to see what's wrong

0 comments

3/29/17

Today I couldn't make much progress on the PSU because I need mica plates for the transistors on the heatsink. Today I soldered a few more wires onto legs, and also started looking at the other small kits

0 comments

3/27/17

Finally back from Japan. Today I checked if the transistors that came in were the right ones, which they were. I'm going to need a few mica plates to continue, but we should be able to finish up soon

0 comments

Week of 3/4/17

This week was purely PSU's. I started putting together a guide with pictures on how to make one since my weblog has been missing pictures lately. On Thurs a couple transistor legs snapped so we will have to order new ones. In the meantime, there are other electronics kits Jake and I can work on.

0 comments