On Tuesday this week, I worked on the AAVSO telescope, and also started working on some of the antennas behind the E-lab around the PPA array. The telescope had some trouble with its mounting, in that the telescope was flipped around from where it should be. When it was supposed to be pointing meridian, it was pointed instead directly into the ground. Will eventually decided that he would try to update the software running the telescope to see if he could solve the problem that way, and we moved on. The antenna mounted on the shed near the e-lab was malfunctioning, so we had to figure out what was wrong and correct it. We eventually figured out it was the coaxial adapter. I remedied this by helping to splice a new connector onto the cable.
On Thursday this week, I continued to work on antennas. There was an antenna that Dr. Bill installed on the right uphill corner of the PPA array, and that antenna was working exceedingly well. However, it was too low to send and receive efficiently, and so Will, Andy, Dr. Bill, and I worked to raise the telescope about 10 feet from its previous position.We also added another wire in the cable to give closer access to the antenna itself.
This week, I worked to repair, troubleshoot, and rebuild the AAVSO telescope and 2 radio antennas. I worked to splice wires, connect antennas, and raise antennas. Next week, I will probably continue to work in this region, and will probably also start working on figuring out what to get for the ag drone.