1. Here is the link to the proposal of my project: http://physics.hpa.edu/users/dao_v/weblog/5af9c/Abstract_Proposal.html
2. I do this project on my own. Doing it by myself helps me to be more responsible about my project. I also have more opportunities to learn new things that I did not know like programming (Python, Java, and Swift), or making a science research poster/paper. However, I have to admit it was quite lonely to do a big project like this by myself. Although I have learned and mastered lots of skill like researching and coding, it took a lot of effort and time for me. Therefore, I am looking forward to creating a team during my college year. This will help us do the project more efficiently.
3. I want to continue conducting this project during my college years at Purdue. I have finished the mobile application for my project but it still needs a lot of improvement. It would be nice if any of HPA students want to continue my project where I left. I have included my research, Emotiv applications that they can use to do brain experiment, 3rdparties API links, user interface of my mobile application, all on my weblog. They also can contact me through email if they have any questions. My email is: email@example.com
4. If I was a new student who want to continue doing this “Brainwave Technology for Real-time Driver Drowsiness Detection”, I would do some research on brainwave first to understand how it works, what types of brain frequencies there are. Then, I would start to do experiments on people. I would also learn some programming languages if I did not know. I would recommend Java (for Android development) and Swift (for iOS development). I would also learn about other cool APIs like Firebase or Google Map. These are all the skills essential to research and development of this project.
5. There are 24-33% of traffic accidents are caused by drowsiness. Therefore, I want to develop a mobile application that can detect and alert drowsiness using brain-computer interface. This project can be applied to cars, trucks, buses, and save lives of many people.
During the process of conducting this project, I have learned programming languages such as Java, Python and Swift. I also learned to make a science research poster and a research paper for my project. I also maintain a good relationship with Emotiv Company, a pioneer technology firm in brainwave technology.
I have faced many difficulties through this project. My biggest one was when I just started to learn about EEG headset and its application. I did not know much about EEG, or especially about brainwave at that time, and so I did A LOT of research on brain frequencies. I also had some troubles when I tried to understand the raw data that I got from EEG. However, with the help of Dr. Bill and Emotiv Company, I understand and know how to apply them in my application.
I am very proud of my Android application that I develop. I understand I still have a long road to go but this is a huge step for me. I am also very proud when I presented my project and received the Innovation Special Prize at the Tsukuba Science Edge competition in Japan 2016.